Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) is a free service available to parents, children and young people living in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
They can help by providing access to impartial and confidential guidance and support on matters relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, including education, schools, national and local policy and practice, statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care plans.
The service is provided to parent or carers with a child or young person aged 0-25 who:
• Believe their child may have a special educational need (SEN).
• Have a child with SEN.
• Live in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
The service is also for young people with special educational needs up to the age of 25.
Parents/carers are encouraged to refer themselves to this service, although they can also give consent to professionals, they are already working with, to contact the service on their behalf.
SENDIASS offers a variety of support including:
• Listening to your concerns about your child’s education and helping you to put your views across (advocacy).
• Telephone information, support and advice about SEN.
• Written and online information about SEN.
• Help for you to understand letters and reports from schools and other professionals working with your child regarding their education.
• Help to write letters about your child’s SEN.
• Accompanying you to meetings at your child’s school or early learning setting.
• Help with disagreements and appeals.
• Signposting you to other services.
• Liaising with other children’s services.
• Organising and holding a transition event for parents/carers of year 5 pupils with a statement of SEN or EHC Plan.
• Advising young people on their future education and encouraging their aspirations.
• Home visits, if required.
• Opportunities to meet in venues across the borough.
• Providing access to an independent supporter through Greenwich Association of Disabled People. For more information call 020 8269 0674 or go to http://www.gad.org.uk/Services/Independent-Support
The service for families of children with a statement of special educational needs or EHC Plan is identical to that in the targeted section.
Click the following link to view and print the SENDIASS Leaflet 2016 which describes what the service can offer in full.
Who to contact
Yvonne Wimbury / Maria Stacey (Contact via FIS helpline)Telephone FIS Helpline – 020 8921 6921
Location: The Woolwich Centre
35 Wellington Street